[ntp:questions] Re: Fedora Core 5 NTP won't synchronize -- condition reject

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jun 22 03:51:16 UTC 2006

On 2006-06-22, dan.jakubiec at gmail.com <dan.jakubiec at gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw similar results with both configs.
>
> So I just loaded a config which changed these all to use
> X.us.pool.ntp.org (I'm assuming that is the best for Hawaii, would you
> agree?). So far, it hasn't helped the problem, but I'll keep watching
> it:

Server choice is a red herring; you have other fish to fry.

> I will try to kick my son off of his Xbox a little later and see if it
> makes any difference (see my previous post). Also, note that the other
> Linux box on my home network is sync'ing fine to the above servers.

I'd take a closer look at the system that won't sync. This could be a
hardware issue: take a look the "Known Hardware Issues" section of
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/TroubleshootingNTP

You could start by enabling stats collection and restarting ntpd with
the '-g' option. Let it run for a while; use 'watch -n15 ntpq -p' to see
the offset in real-time. Does the offset start out fairly low and
increase monotonicly?

To enable stats collection add the following to your ntp.conf:

statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

The statsfiles are documented at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html