[ntp:questions] Re: Fedora Core 5 NTP won't synchronize -- condition reject

dan.jakubiec at gmail.com dan.jakubiec at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 21:28:47 UTC 2006

I've been trying to add some text to the NTP support web for the past
few days, but it won't let me.  It keeps saying my IP address is
blacklisted (probably due to my cable modem IP pool) and to contact the
web administrator.  I tried contacting them and got no response.

Would someone else be willing to help out and  try to update the
document for me?  Here is the text I'm trying to add to the end of
section 9.1.7 of the "NTP Known Hardware Issues":

_No FSB Spread Spectrum Option in your BIOS?_
If your nForce2 motherboard is having problems synchronizing with NTP
servers due to high jitter times, the information above may indeed be
the cause of your problem.  But if your BIOS does not have an option
for configuring FSB Spread Spectrum (and you are running a Linux
kernel), you can try working around the problem by disabling APIC
support in the kernel.

For example, the ASUS A7N8X-VM motherboard running Award BIOS does not
offer the FSB Spread Spectrum option.  When running on this
motherboard, NTP consistently fails to synchronize with any NTP server.
 Although NTP requests are consistently sent and received, they are
constantly rejected by NTP due to high jitter times (exceeding 1000ms).
 Disabling APIC support via the "noapic" kernel option was shown to
correct the problem.

-- Users.DanJakubiec - 22 Jun 2006

Thanks!

-- Dan