[ntp:questions] Re: DCF77 reception problems in last 2 days

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Tue Jun 27 14:02:23 UTC 2006

mike wrote:
> Yes, I was aware that there were periods when the signal was cut, but
> I am not getting that profile.

There need not be real thunderstorm, the weather situation usually
houurs before a thunderstorm is enough to disturbe the signal. Lightning
between clouds causes waves with 30 - 50 kHz which interfere the DCF signal.

You can see this in the graphs of my DCF-receivers:
http://munin.nack.at/nack.at/via1.nack.at-ntp_shm0_via1_nack_at.html
http://munin.nack.at/nack.at/via2.nack.at-ntp_shm0_via2_nack_at.html
http://munin.nack.at/nack.at/via2.nack.at-ntp_shm2_via2_nack_at.html

The outages and larger inaccuracies nicely correspond to my observation
of the weather - nearly or really thunderstorm.

My location is Vienna/Austria.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer