[ntp:questions] Re: How to configure gps/pps with ntp?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 26 17:29:46 UTC 2006

David J Taylor wrote:

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> []
>
>>Keep good notes of everything you do.  There is no documentation for
>>configuring the GPS18LVC and you are being requested to write some to
>>help the next guy who needs it.
>

> I wrote up what I did here:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm
>
> and I hope it may be of some help.
>
> I find the Wiki almost impossible to use, so if someone more skilled than
> I (or with a different browser?) wants to add that information in they are
> welcome.
>
> As I'm not an expert, may I ask:
>
> - do I also need a line:
>     server 127.127.22.1 prefer
>
> - I already have:
>     server  127.127.20.1    mode 1       prefer
>     fudge   127.127.20.1    time1 0.000  flag3 1  refid PPS
>
> Thanks,
> David

I, also, find the wiki to have a counter intuitive user interface and a
rather steep learning curve.  I could learn it if I needed to use it
every day but for once a year usage it's a little too much.

I am not an expert on the NMEA or Atom drivers either.  The GPS receiver
   I have happens to be a Motorola Oncore so that's the only one I'm
really familiar with.  My comments were based on general knowledge and a
quick glance at the C code for the NMEA driver.