[ntp:questions] Re: Toggling time sync between two servers

vwvr6vw brian.l.hostetler at lmco.com
Mon Mar 27 02:49:19 UTC 2006

Thanks.  In this application, a few thousand dollars is not going to be
an issue.  Having the correct time is critical and that is why I'm
hoping that managment will go for it.  I believe the two sources we
have now are from GPS.

As to why the two references that we have seem to be different at
times, I believe this is most likely due to our third party software or
possibly the fact that we have "enable pll" in our NTP configuration
file.  From what I've been told by a co-worker, NTP can not read time
off of a serial line with AIX version 3.4 and that we would need to
upgrade to version 4 or 5.  This is why we have a third party
application reading time off of the serial line and then disciplining
the local clock on the NTP servers instead of having NTP do all of this
for us.  If anyone knows this to be false, please let me know.