[ntp:questions] Re: offset values from ntpq and ntptrace

Tanguy.ropitault at gmail.com Tanguy.ropitault at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:08:08 UTC 2006

Ok, so if I understand correctly, if I want to monitor the performance
of NTP on a client (e.g its accuracy), I have to use the estimated
errors field in statfile because It seems to be the same value given by
ntptime? And is this value  the estimated error compared to the
reference clock? or compared to the server'clock? I know it's quite the
same but I want to know.
And one thing is very odd, when you look ntp documentation, all
monitoring for ntp are done with the offset value, so everyone is
wrong? It's not usefull tu use offset value? And there is still a
question that is confusing my mind... in some documentation I read that
precision over a wan should be few ms... what does this mean compared
to the estimated errors? is it the same... I know that accuracy and
precision are different things but i don't really see... maybe someone
have a good example???