[ntp:questions] Re: New to NTPD

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Tue May 9 15:41:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Heiko Gerstung wrote:

> Hi, Ted:
>
> Ted Gervais wrote:
>> Well I finally am moving away from netdate and have ntpd installed and
>> running.
>> I brought it up using ntpd -g,  and hope that is ok.
>>
>> Also I have no idea that it is doing anthing?   How do I know that it is
>> running.
>> The drift file has only one entry in it, and that is all zeros..
>>
>> Is there some way that I can watch what is happening like the way I watch
>> log files using 'tail -f messages'  ??
>>
>> I have all the logfile stuff turned on so I can read any and all stuff that
>> is happening and  yet while that says a few things I at this point don't
>> know that it is doing anything with the system time.
>>
>> I am running linux (slackware 10.2)..
>
> Maybe you can try it with "ntpq -p" which shows you all configured time
> references (the "server" or "peer" lines in /etc/ntp.conf). If you want,
> you can run it periodically : "watch -n 1 ntpq -p"

OK on the 'watch' line. Here is what that gives me"

Every 1.0s: ntpq -p                                     Tue May  9
12:39:45 2006
jitter
*LOCAL(0)        73.78.73.84      5 l   58   64  377    0.000    0.000
0.001
  time-b.nist.gov .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
  time-b.nist.gov .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
  time-A.timefreq .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00
  time.nist.gov   .RSTR.          16 u    -  128    0    0.000    0.000
4000.00

> As ntpd is normally using the system log, a simple
> "tail -f /var/log/messages | grep ntp" would be another approach to

Alright on grepping ntp inthe  messages log.  Never thought of that in
terms of specifically looking only for ntp activity.  I willl make a note
ofthat too..