[ntp:questions] Time synchronization on an autonomous isolated network

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 11:14:11 UTC 2006

In article <pih5h.178546$6l3.2752585 at phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
"jwm <jwmej at N O S P A M y a h o o . c o m>" wrote:

> All this should be configured in such a way that no administrator
> intervention is required. The network should determine itself with which
> PC's they want to synchronize the time.
..
> Is it possible to configure NTP in such a way that the requirements
> listed above can be met?

Your requirement seem to be for the timed protocol, not for the NTP
protocol.  I believe that there have been some recent enhancements to
the daemon code to support isolated, consensus building, time islands,
but I'm not sufficiently familiar with them to know whether they will meet
all your requirements, and I don't know if they are in the latest Windows
binary ports (this is a difficult group on which to guess platforms as
both Windows and Red Hat users assume everyone else uses the same system
as them - most people who answer here use neither for their time
synchonisation platform).

NTP was designed on the basis that there is one true time.