[ntp:questions] iburst

terrypearl fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 01:36:03 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> terrypearl wrote:
>
>> Added "iburst" to the server line in /etc/ntp.conf as:
>>
>> server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 2.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
>>
>> I understood that adding the 'iburst' would spee synch on boot.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it hasn't. It still takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes
>> to synch.
>>
>> Is there a way to reduce the synch time to seconds instead of minutes??
>>

> Not really.  Even with iburst it takes something like twenty seconds to
> collect the information necessaray to START synchronizing the clock. The
> maximum slew rate of 500 parts per million means that it takes a while
> to correct any error.  I think that your "3 to 5 minutes" applies to a
> "warm start"; e.g. starting with a good drift file.  A cold start takes
> something like thirty minutes to get tight synchronization.
>
> This is all relative.  If you start ntpd with -q and use iburst you will
> probably not be off by more than 100 milliseconds.
>
> If you need to be in tight synchronization at all times, don't ever shut
> down!!!  If your O/S requires frequent reboots, change to a better one.

Not shutting down uses more electricity - since I am paying the bill on
that instead of my employer, of which I have none being on disability
and a fixed income which gets relatively smaller every year, I prefer to
keep my costs as low as possible. Do you have any more wise-ass remarks
on how to spend my money????

Running Linux Fedora Core 5. Do you prefer Windows???

It doesn't require reboots - just shutting down daily when I am not
using the machine.

Terry

If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
   Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
   US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
   Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759