[ntp:questions] frequency of updation

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 29 13:12:59 UTC 2006

lulu wrote:

> Is this decision of changing the interval dynamically done by any
> algorithm
> present in rfc related to NTP.

Yes.  The math is way over my head but it's there

> Can't the user interfere in changing the time  interval in which a
> NTP-client sends or recieve packets

Yes, but it's a bad idea if you want good timekeeping.  The optimum
polling interval changes with network behavior and the behavior of your
local clock.

> And how of sure u are saying it  will never overload the CPU. Because
> sending a packet every minute can make a system overloaded at times
> also if  it is side by side working on
> any resource hunting process. So what i mean to askcan't a user control
> th packaet sending and recieving interval manually.

Others may be able to offer something like proof but I would guess that
ntpd would use less than one percent of just about any CPU manufactured
in the last five to eight years.