[ntp:questions] offset > .5 second. What does this mean?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Mon Oct 30 07:17:23 UTC 2006

nicough at gmail.com wrote:
> The application in use will fail if the time is out by >2 seconds.
>
> Does anyone know if "Time set (offset > .5 second)" could potentially
> mean that my clock is out by 3 (or more) seconds?
> On SBS2000 (Windows 2000 Server SP4)
>
> Nick

Nick,

Did you read this Microsoft article?

  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232209

It mentions a "Time set (offset < .5 second)" message.

If your application is as critical as you say, I /strongly/ urge you to
look at NTP instead of w32time.  In Windows 2000, w32time may well step
the clock, which could confuse your application even more, and might even
step the clock back.  At least with NTP you can control that type of
behaviour.

David