[ntp:questions] NTPD sync now

nicough at gmail.com nicough at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 23:22:53 UTC 2006

I'm setting up PC1 (W2K) as an NTP server for 1 local machine PC2 which
does not have internet access.

NTP software from http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm installed
and working on PC1
w32time service is stopped and disabled.

PC1 ntp.conf:
driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
logfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.log"
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
server msltime.irl.cri.nz

Whenever I stop and start the NTP service on PC1, I have to wait 5
minutes before PC1 will report the following in the log and start
acting as an NTP server.
PC1 ntp.log:
1 Nov 12:00:00 ntpd.exe[1792]: The Network Time Protocol Service has
stopped.
1 Nov 12:04:14 ntpd.exe[164]: synchronized to 131.203.16.6, stratum 1

Question: After I start the NTP service, is there a way to give NTP a
kick to that it synchronises with the internet NTP server immediately,
so I don't have to wait for 5 minutes? ie a "Sync Now" command using
something like NTPQ.

Thanks
Nick