[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Chris Davies chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 09:54:35 UTC 2006

Eugen COCA <ecoca at eed.usv.ro> wrote:
> 1. Use ntpd not ntpdate;

> 2. Use a large number of servers (more than 9);

That seems rather excessive. If you're using the Pool at all, then three
or so should be enough. (If you want better time keeping, use specific
servers rather than the Pool.)

> 3. Use pool servers and manually entered servers addresses;

As I understand it, the point of the Pool was to offer an easy way for
people to configure their clients, without needing to find addresses of
specific servers. If you've got explicit servers configured, then you're
unlikely to need the Pool as well.

Chris