[ntp:questions] Re: time.ucla.edu is closed

Brian Garrett mgy1912 at cox.net
Thu Sep 7 05:51:04 UTC 2006

"Felix Tilley" <fetilley at cyberbromo.int> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.09.06.09.07.34.816764 at cyberbromo.int...
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:02:46 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:
> >
> > What part of Stratum-2 servers don't you understand? I am very serious
> > about this: you need to stop using restricted servers. The restrictions
> > are by policy rather than by technical means but that can be changed.
> >

> Danny,
>
> tick.ucla.edu wants you to use it.
>
> It is publically available.
>
> They want to you use it.   It sustains their employment.
>
> The state of California wants you to use it.

Behold the usefulness of the passive voice:

"They want it to be used" is a true statement.  "They want you to use it" is
not.
Or rather, the latter statement may or may not be true, depending on whether
"you" are a member of the two groups they have specified, viz. UCLA clients
and stratum 2 servers.

As for the first statement: yes, they do want it to be used.  On THEIR
terms.  Not yours.

As Bill Clinton might say, it all depends on what your definition of "you"
is.

Brian