[ntp:questions] Re: logs or stats showing when NTP made changes to the local clock

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 21:30:22 UTC 2006

In article <t_WPg.3489$6S3.2474 at newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
Joseph Harvell <jharvell at dogpad.net> wrote:

> Subject: logs or stats showing when NTP made changes to the local clock

I suspect a common misunderstanding here.  On a better platform, the
combination of ntpd and the kernel update the clock frequency on every
timer tick.  Even with ntpd version 3, running without kernel support,
the tweaking was done every four seconds.

If things are running smoothly, the parameters that control this are
updated every time a packet is returned from an eligible server.

> Can ntpd be made to log this?  Can I infer it from the stats?  I am
> particularly interested in step corrections.

Whilst the error recovery steps get included in the system log, recording
the fine tuning would put an excessive load on the system.

(The common misunderstanding is that ntpd periodically corrects the time,
when it actually continuously corrects the frequency.)