[ntp:questions] GPS receivers were severely disrupted on 06 Dec 2006

jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com
Thu Apr 5 21:25:04 UTC 2007

Ryan Malayter <malayter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 9:35 am, j... at specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
> > Computer clocks drifting is going to be the least of the worries
> > if there is ever an extended and wide spread GPS outage.

<snip>

> Airplanes/ships have intertial and radio navigation aids to backup
> GPS. Car owners should have (or can easily acquire) paper maps to back
> up their GPS. Surveyors have old-style mechanical devices to back up
> GPS.

Only transport aircraft have INS, and few at that.

The radio navigation aids are VOR/VORTAC, NDB and LORAN.

Few airplanes or boats have LORAN anymore and is proposed to be shut
down soon.

The FAA is shutting down NDB stations as GPS approaches are developed.

The FAA is talking about shutting down some VOR's and VORTAC's.

We are growing ever more dependant on GPS for real navigation and
whitling away at the backup systems.

<snip remaining>

--
Jim Pennino