[ntp:questions] PPS kit for 2.6 linux kernels?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Apr 13 09:04:29 UTC 2007

>No.  Even the hardware of ten to fifteen years ago has sufficient
>capacity to run ntpd.  I run ntpd on Sun Ultra 10 machines with 440 MHz
>CPU's (late 1990's vintage).

Are you using PPS?  Does your kernel have hardpps?

My question was not whether ntpd would run on old machines, but
why the hardpps code was needed in the kernel.

I was guessing that old machines had performance issues.
That seems like the best explaination even if it doesn't
fit today's data.

>Ntpd runs at elevated/real-time priorities and needs, perhaps, 1% of the
>  CPU or even less on modern hardware.

Was that code (both in the kernel and in ntpd) mature back when
hardpps was added to the kernels?  (I'm pretty sure it went into
several OSes.)