[ntp:questions] Influence of temperature on PC oscillators

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Apr 15 07:29:19 UTC 2007

In article <4620bcdf$0$7511$426a74cc at news.free.fr>,
 Spoon <devnull at invalid> writes:
>Hello,
>
>I've found the following articles rather interesting:
>
>http://www.wraith.sf.ca.us/ntp/#bios-issues
>http://www.ijs.si/time/temp-compensation/
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage-controlled_oscillator
>
>Regards.

I don't agree with the suggestion to disable the spread spectrum
stuff.  It's there for a reason.  Effectively, your CPU will run
slightly slower.  I haven't seen anything published to indicate
that the speed is sufficiently less stable so that ntpd will notice.
It will be different than the nominal value, but that's not a problem.

It would be fun to see if you can measure it.

If you like that sort of stuff, you should also read:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCXO
  http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS-oven-journey.htm

Lots of good background here:
  http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm