[ntp:questions] Influence of temperature on PC oscillators

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 08:24:54 UTC 2007

In article <iOadnZzu3ZnSSbzbnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d at megapath.net>,
hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) wrote:

> I don't agree with the suggestion to disable the spread spectrum
> stuff.  It's there for a reason.  Effectively, your CPU will run

The reason is basically a workaround for poor quality combinations of
case and motherboard.  I believe the amateur radio community feels that
it is a bad solution because it basically moves the generated radio
frequency interference from a number of spot frequencies to a wide band
of frequencies, without reducing it well below natural background levels

Although spot frequencies are still a nuisance, most of the band is still
available to weak signals, but broad noise wipes out weak signals across
the whole band, even though the result complies with the relevant legislation.
That legislation is a compromise, aimed at minimising manufacturer compliance
costs.

> slightly slower.  I haven't seen anything published to indicate
> that the speed is sufficiently less stable so that ntpd will notice.

I assume it is pseudo random, so the long terms stability will be as good,
but the short term stability may be compromised, although I'm not sure of
the timescale.