[ntp:questions] Local clock question with dialup connection

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Apr 18 08:06:58 UTC 2007

>It should no longer be necessary to do this. NTP 4.2.4 support dynamic
>IP addresses of the host and it will find and rebind the receiving
>addresses automatically.

I see the following when ntpd gets started before eth0 has made contact
with dhcp.  ntp.conf has a single server 192.168.1.3 that's on the
LAN connected to eth0.

  ntpd[1444]: Cannot find existing interface for address 192.168.1.3
  ntpd[1444]: configuration of 192.168.1.3 failed

I've been assuming that "failed" was permanent and restarting ntpd.
Should it recover by itself if I wait a while?

I just tried it.  After a while, dhcp makes contact, then I see:
  ntpd[1444]: Listening on interface #2 eth0, 192.168.1.102#123 Enabled
but ntpq still says:
  No association ID's returned