[ntp:questions] Could some one help in pointing out the error here

Remo madhu_mepco at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 02:07:01 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I was not able to set a remote server's leap. It looks like the NTP
packets from the query is not generated at all. Though the  "sendpkt"
procedure is being called "sendrequest", I am not able to see the
packet reaching the other side. I guess that I am missing something as
there is a error reported with authentication.
Could someone help me in pointing out the error I made..

ntpq> asso
ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1 17284  f614   yes   yes   ok   sys.peer   reachable  1
  2 17285  c000   yes   yes   bad    reject
ntpq> writevar 17284 leap=1
Keyid: 64
MD5 Password:
***Server disallowed request (authentication?)

The configs are:
authenticate yes
keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1234
requestkey 61
controlkey 64
server 10.8.26.34 key 1234

The key file:
1234  M pass
61 M pass1
64 M pass2

Is this possible to work without authentication. Please help.

Thanks,
Remo