[ntp:questions] refclock_gpsvme.c from True Time GPS-VME to Brandywine PCI-SyncClock32

rodebiet at yahoo.com rodebiet at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 16:52:10 UTC 2007

>From ntp-4.2.0 to ntp-4.2.2, more precisely with changeset 1.1152.9.9,
the refclock_gpsvme.c changed from a reference clock driver for a True
Time GPS-VME to a reference clock driver for a completely different
and totally not compatible Brandywine Communications PCI-SyncClock32.

Does anybody know the history about this? Is seems like the people at
USNO did not have a need for the True Time GPS-VME anymore, but
changed to the PCI-SyncClock32 and reused the refclock_gpsvme.c and
the assigned driver number 21 to make a driver for it.

Did nobody else used the TrueTime GPS-VME driver? Apparently not.

Why not assigning a new driver number for PCI-SyncClock32 and add a
refclock_psc.c?

For me, it is quite confusing. For example
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringRefclocks at the
section "by refclock driver number" has at number 21 a link to the
True Time serial based refclock, which has nothing to do with either
True Time GPS-VME or PCI-SyncClock32.

If nobody objects, I'd like to add a page for the PCI-SyncClock32 at
number 21.

Regards,
Rode Biet