[ntp:questions] Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Dec 5 14:06:46 UTC 2007

David,

David J Taylor wrote:
> I find it difficult to judge the results in comparison with mine as the
> timescales cover a rather different range, but the message is clear -
> under Vista (your 64-bit or my 32-bit) timekeeping with NTP is orders of
> magnitude worse than it should be.  It might be interesting to try
> disabling the interpolation, and see if that improves things.  I'd try
> that here is only I could get NTP to compile with Visual Studio 2005!  If
> you have a version you want me to test on Vista 32-bits here, just let me
> know.

There's now a new graph recorded under 32 bit Vista:
http://www.meinberg.de/download/ntp/graphs/ntp-dev-4.2.5p104-windows-vista-32.pdf

The first section is with maxpoll 6, and in the second part maxpoll has been
reduced to 4, which does not seem to eliminate the reason for the jitter,
but the magnitude.

> I do appreciate your efforts with this.

Thanks. We all want NTP to discipline even the Windows system time as good
as possible.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki