[ntp:questions] NTP Server Setup

Heiko Gerstung heiko.removethistext.gerstung at meinberg.de
Fri Dec 14 08:05:18 UTC 2007

Prekop, Joe Jr. schrieb:
> I need to configure a Windows 2003 Server as an NTP server.  All of our
> internal users, servers and network infrastructure equipment will point to
> this NTP server for updates.  What is the best way to setup a Windows 2003
> server as an NTP server?

You could use our NTP Installer for Windows which offers the following
functionality (most of it is optional and can be deselected during
installation):

- install the current stable NTP version (4.2.4p4) on your system
- sets up a service called NTP which starts NTPD automatically at system
startup
- creates a special user account which has limited privileges and which
is used to run the service (=security bugs in NTPD would not result in
an Administrator level access if someone uses that bug to attack your
machine)
- disables the w32time service of Windows
- creates an initial configuration file for you
- adds a few items to your start menu in order to allow you to control
the service, edit the configuration file, access the documentation and
related websites and check the status of NTP (using ntpq)

The installer offers an "unattended mode" which allows you to run it on
client machines without the need for user interaction (by pre-specifying
all required parameters in an INI file), this helps a lot to
automatically install NTP on hundreds or thousands of machines.

Well, enough buzz :-) It is free and can be downloaded here:

http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

(you should choose the "modena" version)

And please take a look at the Time Server Monitor application which
could be considered a GUI for NTP on Windows.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask them here or
via email (ntp-support at meinberg.de).

Best regards,
  Heiko