[ntp:questions] Source address in response always the same as target address in request?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Fri Dec 21 13:04:26 UTC 2007

>>> Why do you have 300 sockets bound to an interface with a stateless
>>> protocol? This appears to be a fundamental violation of the stateless
>>> paradigm.
>> Not sure what you mean here. The 300 sockets are bound to 300
>> different UDP ports by some large number of different processes.
>> All of them bound to the wildcard address except NTP.
>>

> How many of them use UDP?

I said that "300 sockets are bound to 300 different UDP ports".

To be clear; This is a Sun Ray server with many different users. At
this point in time, there are some large number of applications in
use which are using UDP, all bound to the wildcard interface, none of
them bound explicitly to any particular local IP address.

My point is that NTP is, while not unique, one of a small number of
applications that feels the need to bind all the local IP addresses.

--
blu

"Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall!"