[ntp:questions] Consumer GPS question

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200702 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:09:38 UTC 2007

shane-dated-1173382499.fffb68 at cm.nu writes:
> I'm wondering whether this is suitable for NTP sync and what kind of
> accuracy I should expect.
>
> http://www.buygpsnow.com/globalsat-br-355-water-proof-serial-gps-receiver-sirf-star-iii-br355-v3-1-1-free-arkon-mount-432.aspx

I believe the internal GPS engine is called the US Globalsat EM-406 if
you buy it without the round plastic case and cable.  The EM-406 is
documented to have PPS on test point 10 and perhaps pin-6 of its
6-pin I/O header.  (Other versions of the

  http://www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/engineboards/EM406.pdf

The bad news is that this pin doesn't seem to be brought out on the
normal cable for the br-355.

  http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=61  (gps)
  http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=4   (cable ps-2 -> db9)

So it doesn't look like you can get PPS out of the unit without making
a new cable and possibly some soldering.

-wolfgang