[ntp:questions] how will this effect stability

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:33:21 UTC 2007

On Feb 14, 4:24 pm, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertw... at t-online.de>
wrote:

> I am still thinking about patching ntpd to force polling at times
> where i can guarantee an idle ( low delay ) line.

Wouldn't traffic shaping make more sense? We use the traffic shaping
features on my company's firewalls and routers to boost NTP priority.
NTP gets slightly higher priority than our VoIP phone system, which is
several times higher than all other traffic (web, email, etc.). If a
line is clogged (meaning router queues are full), NTP packets get
first consideration.

The easiest-to-use trafic shaping systems simply modify the fair-
queueing algorithms already present in a routing device... what sort
of routers will you have? If they're Linux or BSD-based, you have a
lot of options. If they are commercial products, consider making sure
you get the QoS options. In my experience, traffic shaping is often
required on a shared but low-bandwidth line.

Note that you may need traffic shaping at both ends of your slow
connection for it to be effective, depending on your appliations. If
you are connecting to an ISP directly, you might ask them what your
options are.

Regards,
  Ryan