[ntp:questions] how will this effect stability

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Fri Feb 16 06:48:28 UTC 2007

Uwe Klein wrote:
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> Please let huffpuff run for a few days while plotting frequency and
>> offset values, my guess is it will turn out to be darn stable. :-)
>>
>> Terje
>>
> some data to gloat over:
> huffpuff is at 160000 added ~19:00 on the 14th
> t-online was added later.
>
> t-online.png is the ntp server of my provicer ntp1.t-online.de over dsl
> ptb.png is the same to ptbtime1.ptb.de , dsl and then some more hops
> robert.png is to another host on the local network.10Base100
>
> http:// home.foni.net/ ~kuttersegeln/ntp/

So, are you happy with those results?

You will always see horrible delay/offset values, but the local clock
should coast over those periods, keeping the local frequency pretty stable.

In fact, plotting the clock frequency numbers alongside the other values
would be a very nice way to determine if/when things have stabilized.

You should see either a straight line, or a sawtooth/sinus curve which
corresponds to the air condition in your server room.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>