[ntp:questions] Two servers is worst possible configuration

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Feb 19 09:34:49 UTC 2007

"Jan Ceuleers" <janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be> wrote in message
news:45d605bc$0$3134$ba620e4c at news.skynet.be...

> Given the fact that configuring two servers is worse than just one, and
> definitely worse than three, would it be an idea for ntpd to output a
> warning in its logfile about this:
>
> - upon startup (if at the end of config file processing the number of
> associations (not including the local clock) is two

This is not good enough. I *have* two servers configured, and there is
nothing wrong with that configuration - because one is strictly slaved
to the other. It will never be selected unless the 'real' server goes
down, and then it takes on a useful role in keeping the clients together.

So you can't, in general, complain that having two servers is wrong
until you have seen them work.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink