[ntp:questions] refclock use causes core dump of ntpd

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 07:29:42 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 10:40 pm, Harlan Stenn <s... at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> Roger,
>
> I assume you are using driver 36?
>
> Please fire up gdb again, and when it drops core type "where" to show the
> complete stack backtrace.
>
> It will probably take more work, but that will be a good start.

Harlan,

No, this is driver 5, the TrueTime serial port driver.

Here is the current billboard, without the receiver serial line
connected.

lunar# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
 TRUETIME(0)     .WWV.            0 l    -   64    0    0.000
0.000   0.002
*SPECTRACOM(0)   .WWVB.           0 l   23   64  377    0.000
-0.552   1.793
+Remote1         .GPS.            1 u  285  512  377   24.693
4.798   2.152
-Remote2         .WWV.            1 u  331  512  377   23.261
5.017   0.894
+Remote3         .GPS.            1 u  328  512  377   23.546
4.760   1.068

As you can see, it seems to be quite happy with just the NetClock/2
connected. (driver 4)
If I were to connect the serial line from the TT-3 TrueTime, it will
coredump.
The TrueTime refid (WWV) is from a config fudge line.

I'll attach gdb to the process and see what a 'where' produces after
the dump.

    Roger