[ntp:questions] Servers with identical ntp.conf keep falling out of sync

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 13:46:33 UTC 2007

Gushi wrote:
> Hey all, I have two servers in two different datacenters using the same
> ntp.conf.
>
> To wit:
>
> # Prohibit general access to this service.
> restrict default ignore
>
> # Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
> # be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
> # the administrative functions.
> restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
>
> The problem is, that the servers keep drifting apart from each other,
> to the degree that DNS TSIG transactions break down.  Is there anything
> obvious to try to fix this?  Usually when this happens, killing ntpd
> and then running ntpdate will fix it.
>
> -Dan

Lose the restrict statements!   Unless things have changed really
recently, you need to supply an actual numeric IP address in each
restrict statement which you cannot do for a pool server.  Restrict
default ignore told your server to ignore the whole world and you didn't
and can't tell it to allow the pool servers!!!!!