[ntp:questions] broadcast ntpd server on Windows

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 04:36:29 UTC 2007

mshetty at mail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have installed ntp-4.2.0a at mbg-fluxcap-v2-o-win32-setup.exe. We are
> unable to use it as a broadcast server.
>
> Would help if anyone who has has configured it as a broadcast server
> can get back.
>
> Every time we specify a broadcast address like 192.168.39.255 in
> ntp.conf, re-starting ntpd service results in an error like not Class D
> address.
>
> We need a broadcast ntpd server on Windows. Incase there's any other
> freeware available kindly let us know.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> M Shetty

Wouldn't your clients respond correctly if you used the multicast
address that
is assigned to NTP?  The normal address is 224.0.1.1, which I use.

Not positive, but maybe if you just used the keyword 'broadcast',
without an address,
it might default to the standard broadcast address for the current
network.

Roger