[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jan 30 21:28:06 UTC 2007

>>> In article <epo4ni$iob$1 at scrotar.nss.udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

David> Be truly advised the purpose of the refid is not for pretty display;
David> the purpose is to detect and reject timing loops. A timing loop is
David> defined where the other guy is synchronized to me or where both of us
David> are synchronized to the same server. Yes, there are some potentially
David> ugly consequences where a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are in
David> use.

Fine with me...

David> For ntpq the choices are: If the peer shows leap 11 and stratum 0
David> show the refid as kiss code. Otherwise, if stratum 1 show the refid
David> as ASCII string. Otherwise, show a dotted quad on the understanding
David> that, if it doesn't look like a IPv4 address, it probably isn't.

Dave, so you are OK with me implementing this?  And I would *much* prefer to
lose the dotted quad output (or at least have the output be a display
option) because the dotted quad takes up a lot of room.

David> The most common misinterpretation might be the local clock driver
David> operating at elevated stratum. The present rules show an ugly
David> dotted-quad string. The local clock driver should change its refid to
David> the loopback address.

Do you want to make this change to the driver or should I?