[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jan 31 02:58:31 UTC 2007

David L. Mills wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Yes, you point out the second problem other than the IPv6 problem. The
> string you see usually applies to the local clock, or any other
> reference clock operated at a stratum other than one. Perhaps the most
> elegant solution is for the local clock driver to insert the IPv4 host
> address or IPv6 hash as the reference ID.

Which one? This has been one of my discussion issues over the years as
it relates to refids. You can have multiple addresses per NIC and
multiple NICs and then you have IPv4 and multiple IPv6 addresses. Which
do you choose. My answer has been that a system has one and only one
refid for all interfaces, packets, etc whether sent as a unicast
response, a multicast packet or a broadcast packet, none of which should
matter.

Danny