[ntp:questions] Is 24PPM an Excessive Real-Time Clock Correction?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Jul 12 19:21:42 UTC 2007

>Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 17th Edition states:
>"A crystal oscillator controls clock speeds using a sliver of quartz
>sometimes contained in what looks like a small tin container. Newer
>systems include the oscillator circuitry in the motherboard chipset, so
>it might not be a visible separate component on newer boards."

The crystal itself won't get integrated into an IC anytime soon.

There is/was usually a separate clock-generator chip.  It's a typical
IC.  It would be reasonable to include that in the main chipset.
There is a lot of analog (PLL) magic rather than simple digital
logic so it isn't quite as simple as including all the old
legacy junk IO.