[ntp:questions] Installing more stable oscillator?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200707 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:19:59 UTC 2007

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> writes:
> Is +80C enough for you?  <G>

Although Garmin fails to mention how long the unit will last at that
temperature.  It is not hard to make electronics that will survive a
few high temperature blips.  It is much harder to make stuff that
doesn't have severely degraded lifetimes when run or stored at
elevated temperatures.

This lifetime issue is something I'm wrestling with for my car gps
right now.  It would be nice to put the antenna on the car's roof
where it sees all the available satellites.  The problem is, the car's
roof gets pretty darn hot when it is sitting in the sun on a hot dry
summer day.  None of the manufacturers give lifetime curves for their
products when used in that manner.

I don't think that the magnetically mounted GPS units are really meant
to be kept mounted when the car is parked.  How long would they stay
on the car?  Around here, I'd imagine it wouldn't last a month.  It
appears that their usage model is really is to only put the unit on
the car roof when driving.  I'm not sure where that leaves the
magnetic car units like the Garmin 18 that have been pressed into PPS
service.

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html