[ntp:questions] NTP MRTG graphs?

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:06:55 UTC 2007

On Jul 26, 1:03 pm, Pete Stephenson <pete+use... at heypete.com> wrote:
> I've been interested in using MRTG (or a similar graphing utility) to
> graph various properties of my time server like the offset, jitter,
> frequency, number of unique users, number of abusive users, etc.
>
> I was reviewing David Taylor's page athttp://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/NTPandMRTG.txtand it's been most
> helpful.
>
> However, I also see that there are several other public time servers
> that are generating quite detailed graphs and I was wondering if anyone
> would be willing to share the scripts used to get the numerical data
> from NTP, format it into a way that MRTG can interpret, and the MRTG
> config files needed to analyze and graph it.
>
> Since MRTG only deals with integers, it rounds (or truncates, not 100%
> sure) decimal values to the closest integer. This isn't terribly useful,
> as I'd like to see some of the finer changes over time. I attempted to
> multiply all the decimal values by 1000 and have MRTG work with those,
> and this has met with some success, but I'd much rather have the graphs
> show something in a reasonable scale (like 0-20ms offset, rather than
> 0-20,000us). Obviously this can be done, as I've seen graphs for NTP
> servers made this way, but I'm getting a headache wrangling (and
> failing) with MRTG to get it right.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Pete Stephenson
> HeyPete.com

Pete,
 MRTG has one other drawback when doing NTP monitoring.  It doesn't do
negative numbers.

 You should look into RRDTool, as it solves most of your issues.  I'm
pretty sure that I've seen graphs produced by RRD in use with NTP by
others that read this group.  (I have not yet, myself).

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/

 Cheers,
          Roger