[ntp:questions] Initialize NTP request

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Mon Jul 30 11:19:13 UTC 2007

Dreamchaser wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>

>> RFC-1305 documents the format of the NTP packect.  You send a packet
>> as your request, the server time stamps it and bounces it back to
>> you.  All the details are in the RFC if you read it.
>>
>> The source code for the referernce implementation is available and
>> should explain ALL the details if you can read C.
>>
>> See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads
>>
> Thank you for the help. I had read the RFC, but didn't get the
> connection to send the same message as you receive. Next I have to
> figure out how to get a gz file decoded in windows. :(
You may want to install cygwin on your system ;-)
	http://www.cygwin.com/

If you want to "play around" for a first start
you could use tcl and its ntp implementation in tcllib.
	http://tcllib.sourceforge.net/doc/ntp_time.html

tcl, and tcllib is included in cygwin.
for native windows binaries go to ActiveState:
	http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/

> DC
uwe