[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

Tue Jul 31 07:35:42 UTC 2007

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> writes:

> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> > Hi Gurus of Time!
> >
> > I am very happy to announce that we just released a new stable
> > version of our NTP Installer for Windows, including ntp-4.2.4p3 and
> > openssl-0.9.8e.
> []
> > Best Regards,
> >  Heiko
>
> Heiko,
>
> There /may/ be another issue with Windows 2000, in that NTP is producing
> event-log messages about not being able to write ntp.drift.TEMP.  I
> checked the ntp.drift (actually in \WinNT\ in this installation) and it
> didn't have a permissions entry for the ntp account, so I have now changed
> the permissions to all-users, full control.  It's about 30 minutes before
> the next error message is due, so I'll try and check back then....

Why not use %USERPROFILE% instead of "%SystemRoot% for state information?
There may be also %TMP% or %TEMP% defined.  UNIX users always make a
difference between program directories (which may be shared read-only) and
data directories which should be writable and private).

> No, it seems to still want to write to ntp.drift.TEMP rather than
> ntp.drift, so I've started NTP after checking the permissions on
> ntp.drift.  Check back in just over an hour....

AFAIK: if the temporary file is removed, so are your ACLs.