[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

Guy Macon "http://www.guymacon.com/" at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jun 6 18:06:40 UTC 2007

David L. Mills wrote:

>Guy Macon wrote:
>
>The kernel clock reading routine...
>
>>The NTP clock...

Just to make sure I am not confused, do the clock kept by the
kernal and the clock transmitted by the NTP protocol track
each other (ignoring small errors/offsets) as they traverse
the leap second?  I need to study the references given further,
but the descriptions of NTP seem to describe a clock that jumps
back a second while the descriptions of the kernel seem to
describe a clock that is monotonic and never jumps backward.

That's how I read the figure at
[ http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/leap.html ].

Could it be that I read a post about "the clock" stopping and
assumed from it being posted in comp.protocols.time.ntp that
it refferred to the NTP clock, followed by my posting about
"the clock" and getting a reply that assumed from the fact that
the post I replied to was about the kernel clock that I was
also referring to the kernel clock?  Of course I, being a hardware
engineer and in no way an expert in this area, may be totally
misunderstanding things.  If so, please forgive my ignorance.

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/>