[ntp:questions] Driver Help?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 14 16:05:54 UTC 2007

> From: Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:37:43 -0500
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.isc.org
>
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
> > On 2007-06-13, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Give me a break.  A GPS receiver is a hell of a lot less expensive.
> >>
> >> Competitive my tailfeathers.
> >
> > There are some applications where GPS won't work (due to antenna siting
> > restrictions); CDMA may be the best solution in those cases.
>
> True.
>
> But that pricing is simple rape.  The Multitech modem, which inherently
> has the same capability (all CDMA devices must) can be had for under $300.
>
> Reasonable? I think not.

Maybe or maybe not.

If you want time that is accurate to within 10 microseconds, you need a
bit more than just a CDMA modem with a serial connection. You need a
reliably accurate clocking with a very stable internal clock to maintain
this level of accuracy.

The EndRun is a simple to connect device with power supply. When you
need installation by POP techs, simple is critical. And the cost of
integrating the MultiTech into a small, cheap server in fairly small
numbers (about 6/year) would probably end up costing more than we pay
for the EndRun units.

If a $300 device can do the job in terms of accuracy and practical
installation, I'm all for it, but the MultiTech does not seem to fit
that bill. If it fits yours, it would be crazy to spend more.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)