[ntp:questions] NTP unable to set clock

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jun 22 11:25:11 UTC 2007

On 2007-06-22, toby <speedbird5918 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just installed NTP on our
> Linux (Fedora) server but I can't get ntp to update the system clock.

<snip>

> This is the /etc/ntp.conf:

Thanks for posting your ntp.conf; this makes it easier to solve your
problem. There is no need, however, to include the comment lines (i.e.
those beginning with '#').

> # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
> # permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
> #restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> restrict default ignore

That restrict line is your problem. It tells ntpd to ignore all NTP
packets from all addresses; this includes the NTP packets from the
servers listed further on.

The short solution is to use "restrict default kod nomodify notrap
nopeer noquery" instead of "restrict default ignore".

A longer solution is to read
http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions and choose your own
default restriction based on your application

If you wish to consult the Distribution Documentation please read:
http://www.ee.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/accopt.html

> # --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
> server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.europe.pool.net.org

Appending 'iburst' to these server lines will speed up the initial
syncronization of ntpd from ~5 minutes to ~20 seconds.

> keys /etc/ntp/keys

You are not using symmetric keys anywhere in your ntp.conf, so that
'keys ...' line does nothing for you.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>