[ntp:questions] ntp sync and NetworkManger

Todd Partridge partridge.todd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 19:01:58 UTC 2007

On Jun 21, 4:30 pm, hal-use... at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> >> the detailed configurations that Ubuntu does.  Recently I've installed
> >> NetworkManager which is a beautiful app if you run a laptop, however
> >> using this now creates a bootup problem.  Since connectivity to the
> >> network doesn't happen till after the desktop is loaded  it nulls the
> >> script for ntp at boot time.  I noticed from ntp's man page I noticed
> >> you can run ntpdate as a cron-job.  Anyone had any experience with
> >> this? would this be the best way recommended?  or perhaps there is a
> >> different method I could be doing to sync my clock?
>
> In general, most of the people on this list consider ntpdate
> from cron to be a second class solution.  It might be good
> enough for you.
>
> ntpdate is depricated.  sntp should probably used instead.
>
> >Try starting ntpd AFTER the network is available!
>
> If your ntpd is new enough, the "dynamic" keyword on the server
> line will dance around network changes.
>
> --

Look like I'll probably have to do something a tad bit hackish till I
am able to reason out something better.  gentoos got it's own style of
init scrits which can only be run as root, and though not particularly
hard to edit would be nulled on any update.  And I can't seem to run
it from gnome login either in sessions., I'm not willing to try ntpd
as a cron-job as I'm not as aware as I need to be of the in's and outs
of ntp, particuarly stepping.  Here's what I did:

nano /usr/bin/ntp-client-postnm-hack
sudo /sbin/ntp-client-postnm-hack.sh $*sudo

nano /usr/sbin//ntp-client-postnm-hack.sh
sleep 9
/etc/init.t/ntp-client start

chmod +x /usr/bin/ntp-client-hack /usr/sbin//ntp-client-postnm-hack.sh

Pretty ugly.  I added both of these to visudo and works just fine.
The real solution it seems to me is that NetworkManager I noticed has
an init script runs as a daemon so really it would be nice if one were
able to pass off a couple commands to it, but I'm not aware of it
being configurable.  The NetworkManager website is totally unhelpful.