[ntp:questions] ntp sync and NetworkManger

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jun 24 03:58:16 UTC 2007

ramadog at gmail.com wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
>> I just looked at this report. It's incorrect. The real problem is that
>> the DNS lookup is unable to find an address of the name specified in the
>> config file. That either means that the network is not up or more likely
>>  that the DNS is not available. This is NOT a NTP issue. I did add code
>> which is in 4.2.4 that retries the DNS until it gets an answer but once
>> it gets an NXDOMAIN then it will stop. I forget which bug report that is.
>
> I NEVER claimed it was a ntp issue. With the whole bug report my issue
> was with ntp being started before eth0. Revolving around network
> manager.
>
> That bug report is correct. At least for some people when network
> manager is installed ntp gets started before the network is up. The
> log entries show this and that is what I complained about. I am not
> sure how you can say that a bug report of ntp being started before
> eth0 is incorrect when the logs clearly show ntp being started before
> eth0. I had also mentioned no eth0 for ntp to bind to (pre 4.2.4) and
> the dns problems when trying to argue my point that ntp should be
> started after the network is up.
>
> This only happens when network-manager is installed. Remove network
> manager and everything works as expected. The other work around I
> mentioned was delaying the starting of ntp long enough to give network
> manager a chance to do it's thing. Again that is not claiming a ntp
> problem.

Nevertheless, the issue is with the inability to connect to the DNS. NTP
needs that in order to resolve the addresses in the config file. By
starting ntp before the network is up causes the DNS lookup to fail and
you don't have server addresses to use when the network finally does
come up.

I don't know anything about the network manager but the order of
bringing things up needs to be network, DNS (if on same system) and then
NTP.

Danny