[ntp:questions] newbie

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Mar 1 22:00:41 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-01, mehmet bilgin <mehbilgin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have to computers on the same network. what i am trying to do is
> making one of the machines broadcast server and the other broadcast
> client. also server will use the local time.
>
> for that purpose i write the below lines into the /etc/ntp.conf at the
> server side
>
> server 127.127.1.0
> broadcast 20.1.1.255

You should also specify the driftfile and, there is any chance that your
broadcast packets will be routed to another network, 'fudge 127.127.1.0
stratum 10'

> and at the client side i only write
>
> broadcastclient

Broadcast mode requires the use of NTP Authentication unless explicitly
disabled.

If you wish to disable NTP Authentication you must start ntpd with '-A':

-A
    Do not require cryptographic authentication for broadcast client,
    multicast client and symmetric passive associations. This is almost
    never a good idea.

There is also a configuration directive to disable authentication.

You should know that disabling authentication may allow rogue broadcast
servers to send invalid time to the systems on your network.