[ntp:questions] Convert PPS signal from BNC to RS-232!

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:03:41 UTC 2007

Hal,

The orignal Bell 103/201/202 modem specification required a bipolar data
signal +-6V or more. Later, the 113 modem specification allowed unipolar
signals, but was not widely adopted. In some cases the modem or UART
chip does work with TTL signals, but not all. It takes two transistors
and a resistor to fix that, or better yet a MAX232 chip. Details are in
the NTP documentation on the gadget box page.

Dave