[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Erik e.van.duijn at heineken.nl
Mon Mar 12 20:03:42 UTC 2007

> >> If you add a second key it will
> >> likely write over the first. Choose just one key to use. Remember it's
> >> the server authenticating to the client and not the other way around.

Hello Danny, (Steve,)

While on the clients three keys are defined, I assumed that the
server's broadcast
should incorporate all three

This is - as you already stated - clearly not so (additionally
confirmed by Richard in last posting who also mentions the use of only
one key)

But... should I then understand the client's key-list as an OR list?
I.e. OR
this key, OR that key OR that key THEN server broadcast can be
'trusted'
In other words: I can just pick one key out and use it on the server
to send along in broadcast?

Something else: I have looked at the Meinberg Timeserver which you
advised to use on my Windows 2000-system (being the server),
this because it has a Windows Installer
I have installed it and tried it out yet I can not see where I can
define the key to be incorporated in the broadcast

Can you please give me a hint on how to set up the server (Windows PC)
The clients are already set up as broadcastclients with three keys
defined in ntp.keys (1, 2, 15)
The server should use 'broadcast' and send along (apparently) one key

Kind regards
Erik