[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 20:08:14 UTC 2007

Uwe Klein wrote:
> Richard B. gilbert wrote:
>
>> Ron C. wrote:
>>
>>> "Richard B. gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:45F2BCCC.3050806 at comcast.net...

<snip>
> I still have the first PC I bought for work in 1992 up and running.
> An 80386DX33 upgraded to AMD8036DX5-133 with Novell Dos 7 and Win 3.1.
> Got a bigger HD in 1996 and a new fan in 2000. Used to be running 24/7
> till last year.
>
> You do not get that kind of endurance out of newer hardware. NADA, never.
> Aditionally I have never been able to contact one of those people that
> have bought a "just switch it on and work with it" Windows machines.
> All persons I ask have endless hassles and loose functionality that used
> to work with some update or new driver.

I prefer not to endure the daily, or even more frequent, reboots
required by Windows 3.1, W95, and W98.  W2K was the first version of
windows to eliminate the MSDOS underpinnings of earlier versions.  I
found the difference in W2K most striking!  Some of the hardware these
older O/Ss ran on is able to run Free BSD or some flavor of Linux but
most is now serving as boat anchors, door stops, etc.

YMMV!