[ntp:questions] (Software) timeserver for windows being broadcast-able incl. keys

Erik e.van.duijn at heineken.nl
Fri Mar 16 10:54:09 UTC 2007

On 15 mrt, 19:23, "Richard B. gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net> wrote:

> There may be three keys in the ntp.keys file because one was used to
> authenticate the server to the client, one was used to access the
> privileged functions of ntpq and another to access the privileged
> functions of ntpdc.  These keys may be designated as the "trusted key",
> the, "request key" (ntpdc) and the "control key" (ntpq).

Danny,

thanks for the input but for me as a novice:
how does this fit into the principle of using 'broadcast
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx key xx' as the way of time-correction?
That is, when your assumption above is correct, I can still use only
one key, namely the assumed key to identify the server
(because I see no way of sending along the other two; see also
discussion in this thread's history with others confirming the
impossibility)

> Another possibility is that three keys were intended for use by three
> different servers.

ok, possibly

> Note that the ntp.conf file allows comments.  Comments should be used
> liberally to document what you did, why you did it, and perhaps even
> when you did it.  Unless you have a perfect memory you will need to
> refer to those comments sooner or later.  Even if you do have a perfect
> memory, someone else may need to understand what you did and why

Agree, yet file was not created by me, but I guess I have to suffer

Thanks
Erik