[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

vrkid0 at gmail.com vrkid0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:29:01 UTC 2007

Hi

  If it was a resolving issue than the -n switch would have absolved
me from the problem. We have several Solaris and Linux servers on the
same subnet with the same resolver (DNS) setup and none of them has
the same problem.
I also noticed from my first post that ntpd failed with segmentation
fault (running it with ntpd with -d) and it's not a hardware issue (as
other operating system (Linux/Windows) worked on this hardware for
months without a problem.
I reduced ntp.conf to the bare minimum (see below) and I'm still
experiencing the slowness on the openbsd system. Running ntpq -pn from
another linux (or solaris) server on the same subnet returns a reply
immediately.

 ntp.conf (reduced to the bare minimum):
#
# ntpd configuratoin file
#
server  127.127.1.0                                     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

# write drift file
driftfile /var/ntp/drift

# broadcast to the lan ntp updates
broadcast 192.168.19.255

the full ntp.conf (the configureation includes IP addresses as an
attempt to see if it's a resolver issue):
#
# ntpd configuratoin file
#
server 192.114.62.249

server  127.127.1.0                                     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

# peers:
peer 192.168.19.11
peer 192.168.19.12